If You Like: Warring Forest Factions, Sexy Asymmetry, Sir David Attenborough's Planet Earth
Player Count: Competitive for 2-5 Players
Complexity Rating: 3 - Heavy
Average Playtime: 60-90 Minutes
Two new factions is added to the forest fray.
The Riverfolk expansion includes:
- A New Core Faction: The Riverfolk Company
- A New Core Faction: The Lizard Cult
- An Extra Vagabond
- Five Custom Card Holders
- Cooperative Scenarios
- Rules for Bot Play
- and Four Additional Vagabond Variants
This expansion now allows Root to be played with 1-6 players.
In Root, each player takes on a Faction that has very unique capabilities and win-conditions. You win by scoring 30 points on the track, and you can get points by destroying tokens and buildings, crafting an item, as well as each faction's unique ways of scoring. The game employs multi-use cards which strongly drives this asymmetrical design. Faction and Win Conditions:
- Cats: The Marquise directs her cats to build up her frontier economy while attempting to police the vast wilderness. By collecting and guarding her wood supplies, the Marquise must build workshops, lumber mills, and recruiters while crafting valuable infrastructure improvements.
- Eyrie: The Eyrie muster their hawks to take back the woods. They must build roosts and capture as much territory as possible before they collapse back into squabbling and turmoil, choosing a new commander to guide them.
- Alliance: The Alliance hide in the shadows, recruiting forces and hatching conspiracies. They begin slowly and build toward a dramatic late-game presence—but only if they can manage to keep the other players in check.
- Vagabond: The Vagabond plays all sides of the conflict for his own gain. He aids or fights other factions to earn their trust or ire, while picking through forest ruins in search of new equipment, all in service of his hidden, mysterious quest.